Are You Holding Your Career Back?
Monday Mar 09th, 2020Share
According to an online survey of 972 people conducted by corporate trainer VitalSmarts (Provo, Utah), many people recognize what’s holding them back in their careers. 97% in the survey identified at least one career-limiting habit that prevents them from reaching their full potential at work. The top five bad habits:
2. The “It’s not my job” syndrome
4. Resistance to change
5. Negative attitude
In addition, survey participants noted other behaviors limiting their careers, including disrespect, short-term focus, selfishness, passive/aggressive tendencies, and avoidance of risk. You can overcome your self-sabotage with this advice:
· Get feedback. Sometimes you don’t know what to do to improve the situation because you don’t know exactly what’s wrong. Ask people you trust to give you candid input.
· Create a personal motivation statement. Think about where you want to go in your career and what you want to accomplish.
· Seek professional development. Look for training programs, conferences, and books that will help you learn the skills you need. Invest in these yourself if your employer won’t pay for them.
· Associate with positive role models. Don't hang out with people who share your bad habits.
· Get a mentor. An experienced pro can help you learn to make better decisions about your work and career.